Hello there! I’m really excited about today’s post, as it’s one I’ve been wanting to write for a while. I recently repurchased my favorite foundation, which means the bottle is perfectly clean, shiny, and camera-ready, unlike its (most fervently used) predecessor. So, in the spirit of transparency, I won’t hide that this will be a largely gushing review. It is my favorite, after all!
Vibrancy Argan Oil Foundation Fluid by Josie Maran
I was first introduced to Josie Maran’s Vibrancy foundation by Jaclyn Hill, who raved about its ability to give skin a dewy, natural glow, while providing full-coverage. Intrigued, I looked to the internet to learn more, and I must say, reviews tend to show that this foundation is a love it or hate it kind of product–likely due to its being oil-based. As I’ve mentioned before, I struggle with acne, and part of that includes dealing with combination to oily skin. For this reason, I was a little nervous to spend $45 on a foundation with argan oil as one of the main ingredients, but I’m so glad I did!
Why I love it:
- It continues to amaze me that the more “good” oils I put on my face, the less oily my skin becomes throughout the day. Vibrancy is certainly not the only oil-based product I use, but I truly feel it has benefited the overall texture and appearance of my skin. It is said that this is because your own skin is less likely to overproduce its own natural oils if it’s kept well-hydrated in the first place. Personally, I can attest to that.
- The color spectrum is refreshing in that it includes undertones that are truly neutral. Mystical is my shade, and it’s that perfect balance between yellow and pink undertones. However, if your skin leans more cool- or warm-toned, there’s plenty of options for you!
- It blends into skin seamlessly and really does provide a healthy glow. Even better, it usually takes less than a pump to cover my entire face!
- On that note, I used my first bottle for about nine months before hitting bottom. This may be an expensive foundation, but it lasts a LONG time.
- The packaging is absolutely gorgeous!
What I’d change:
- It’s no deal-breaker, but I wish this had SPF in it. That said, I always apply a facial sunscreen before my makeup anyway. If you prefer the one-and-done convenience of a foundation with SPF, this may not be for you.
- The gold coloring on the pump starts to flake off after a while, which is partly why I waited until I bought a new bottle to write this review. This only started happening a couple months ago and is only noticeable when the cap is taken off, but it’s a bummer nonetheless.
- To apply, I dispense about one-half to a full pump onto the back of my hand and then dot it all over my face with my finger, which prevents the foundation from being soaked up by the brush and allows for more even coverage. As a note, I’ve found that using more than a full pump has diminishing returns, since it becomes difficult to blend to a natural finish. Less is more.
- Next, I buff the foundation into my skin using my IT Cosmetics Blurring Foundation Brush, but any buffing brush will do. By buffing, I mean the use of short “pouncing” and swirling motions to press the foundation into the skin, rather than long, sweeping motions that may cause streaks.
- After I apply concealer under my eyes with a damp sponge, I set my foundation with powder. In my opinion, this step is critical when using this or any other oil-based foundation. While Vibrancy is indeed long-lasting, it certainly is less so without properly setting it. A light dusting is all that’s needed.
- Finally–although optional–I sometimes dab or pounce the same damp sponge I used under my eyes all over my face, after setting it with powder. This is not necessary, but I enjoy doing it and find that it makes my foundation more flawless and longer-lasting. It’s important to make sure your sponge is only slightly damp, especially when using over an oil-based product. I typically run the sponge under water until it’s soaked, squeeze it out several times, and dry it off with a towel before using it on my face.
Before applying foundation:
After applying foundation:
And, just for fun…the final look:
If you’re in the market for a nourishing, hydrating foundation that is full-coverage, I highly recommend Josie Maran’s Vibrancy. I know this second bottle will not be my last!